This is a deep dish style pizza that I make for my family. With the recent realization that gluten free is an issue, the zucchini crust is a big plus! This allows us to have the pizza we miss while eating healthier choices!
- 3-4 shredded zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp Shredded Parmesan cheese (I prefer Parmesan Regganio)
- 3 oz. shredded mozzerella cheese (I’ve also used shredded mexican blend, cheddar, colby jack, or whatever I have laying around in my cheese drawer.)
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb ground beef (can also use ground chicken or turkey)
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 oz uncured Canadian Bacon (gluten free) pre-cooked & chopped
- 2 cups of spaghetti sauce
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- handful of fresh baby bella mushrooms sliced
- whatever other veggies you like on your pizza
- 4-8 oz of shredded cheese of your liking (or what you have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Let zucchini drain in a strainer for 30 minutes or squeeze zucchini in a clean dishtowel or paper towel to remove some of the moisture
- Mix first 7 ingredients (zucchini-3 oz cheese) in a bowl.
- Grease an 8×11.5 inch, glass, baking dish
- Press mixture firmly into bottom of dish so it is equally thick throughout.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees
- While crust is baking
- Brown ground beef with the onion, garlic, & pepper
- Chop the Canadian bacon into bite size pieces
- Add Canadian bacon & spaghetti sauce to pan and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven
- Pour on the sauce, evenly across crust
- Add mushrooms or other pizza toppings
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese, to your liking.
- Return to the oven to bake for 30 minutes at 400 or until it is heated throughout. Cheese should be belted and browned to perfection.
- Remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- A pizza cutter and spatula work GREAT for serving
We have used pepperoni in the past, but now need to locate a corn free/gluten free option so lil bit can eat too!