What to pack for my daughter’s lunch? What to give her for a healthy snack? Chocolate Chip Cookies of course! (But not what you are thinking.)
I work to be sure that my daughter gets a balanced diet every day. I pack her lunch, out of necessity, every day of school, and I work to be sure that she gets a sampling of all the food groups.
Here is one of her new favorites – She calls them Cookies!
2.5 cups whole wheat Flour
0.5 cups Instant Protein
1.5 cups rolled oats (ground)
1.5 tsp baking soda
1tsp ground cinnamon
0.75 cups ground pecans
0.5 tsp salt
0.75 cups butter
1 cups brown sugar
1 TBSP Vanilla
6 large eggs
1 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350* F
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients through salt
- In mixer – cream butter & brown sugar
- Add vanilla and 1 egg at a time
- Slowly add dry mixture until all blended
- Stir in chips
- Drop by scant 1/4 cups onto parchment paper lined cookie tray – flatten slightly (makes right at 24 cookies)
- Bake 11-13 minutes until slightly browned on top
- Cool on pan for ~5 minutes then use spatula to move to wire racks to cool.
I put cooled cookies in zip lock bags and store in the fridge to use in her lunches. They freeze well, but don’t normally last that long.
Here’s the amazing part! The nutritional figures:
Each cookie has about 169 calories, 8.7 g of Fat, 18.1 g of Carbohydrates, 3 g of Fiber, AND… 6.5 g of protein!!!
Tasty treat AND good for you! Dip them in milk for an extra special treat!
It is such a scary thought… Your child gets a cold and then, suddenly, they can’t breathe, they turn blue and you need to call 911 or rush them to an emergency room! (Here is a link to the story about this new unknown respiratory virus: http://youtu.be/BOy7bRP3oak ) It is for this reason – we work to build our little girl’s immune system!
- Begin with a solid foundation: For us, that consists of Incredivites and Meal Shakes for breakfast each morning. No added sugars and NOTHING artificial to cause additional stress to her little body.
- Probiotic – She swallows a tiny Optiflora pearl each morning to give her intestines added good bacteria to fight the bad. It’s a tiny little thing that she swallows easily with her morning “shake.” (She is holding the probiotic in her fingers next to her face – its THAT tiny… and triple encapsulated so those little critters are ALIVE when delivered to the large intestine!)
- Nutriferon – This is an amazing, patented, product that helps the body to increase it natural Interferon levels (the Killer T-Cells that fight off infections) We usually give this to her a couple of times a week, but right now, due to the threat levels, she is taking one every day.
- Defend & Resist – This is an amazing chewable Echinacea & Elderberry tablet that she can chew. It’s purple and sweet and she eats them right up!
- Cut back on refined sugars and flour… White sugar, white flour, heavily processed foods etc… This tends to compromise and stress the immune system causing them to be weaker than they should be – more susceptible to the crud – whatever it may be.
- Reduce respiratory challenges in the home. We removed all toxic and stinky household cleaners long ago. Momma has asthma and when we eliminated all those different nasty cleaners – momma’s asthma went away!!! We use the Get Clean line of products because they work, they are REALLY inexpensive and they last a REALLY, REALLY long time.
Don’t forget the common sense things like, wash your hands often and don’t share food and drinks with others. Please, notice, I did NOT say spray Lysol everywhere! – this can actually have the negative effect of what you are working toward – the toxins in the Lysol spray stress your lungs and can cause your system to weaken… Same goes for soaps with Triclosan or other antibacterial ingredients… Our skin, naturally has bacteria that lives on it to protect us – when we kill off the good bacteria – then our first line of defense is gone!
We don’t use antibacterial ingredients in our home, our daughter is allergic to them. She is also rarely ill and has a VERY STRONG immune system… There was a very brief time in her life when she was sick for about 6 months straight – we discovered her preschool was spraying Lysol in the room over the students’ heads! We removed her from that school and the Lysol – and she has never been sick like that since. We use Get Clean Handwash and Meadowblend Cleansing Bar.
The 6 steps above are what WE DO, as a family to prevent the “CRUD” from creeping in, and it has worked very well for us for over 7 years. I hope it provides you with some insight. If you would like further information, please contact me.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.