So, I was asked to make a veggie chili for the teachers’ appreciation luncheon. I decided to embark on the adventure, so I looked up many recipes, then compiled my own with my own style.
This recipe made a really thick, hearty chili that was a tad on the spicy side and delicious!
- 1.5 cups dried black beans
- 1 cup dried red beans
- 1 cup dried pinto beans
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans
- 28 oz can Italian peeled tomatoes (chopped)
- 28 oz can Rotelle original tomato/chili pepper
- 1 red onion chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped or shredded
- 1 yellow squash chopped or shredded
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 box of baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro
- Dusting of Cayanne (may not even be needed)
- 2 1/2 cups of water + 6-8 cups
- 1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
In a LARGE bowl pour all the beans, the baking soda & 6-8 cups of water and let beans soak for 4 hours plus. (Ideally, I will let them soak over night.)
After soaking, pour into a colander and rinse beans thoroughly.
Pour beans into crock pot and add everything else to crock pot and stir.
Let cook on low for 8-10 hours. Garbanzo beans will still be a bit crunchy, but that is your “meat texture”. My hubby never realized that it was a meatless chili!
WOO HOO – SCORE ONE FOR MOMMY AND MEATLESS MONDAYS!!!
You must be logged in to post a comment.