In the news this month is the story, "Because many prescription and OTC medicines contain NSAIDs, consumers should avoid taking multiple remedies with the same active ingredient," the FDA said.
That news in itself is enough to cause me to think twice and not reach for that bottle of “anti-inflammatory,” but what if it isn’t the drug that is causing the damage, or the drug is just part of the problem?
Don’t get me wrong, I am ALL about the “don’t take drugs” of any kind thing. We avoid pharmaceuticals like the plague. I prefer to use the natural alternatives and prevent the need for these “meds,” however… I can’t help but think – what if, in this case it’s the “need” for these meds?
What this means:
If, in fact, it is the inflammation itself that is causing the issues, OR the meds listed by the FDA to be an issue, it can almost all be eliminated through daily lifestyle choices, attention to prevention, and nutritional choices.
What if… what you ate could prevent inflammation?
What if… many of the illnesses today were caused by inflammation?
What if… we could live in a way to prevent inflammation and keep our chances of contracting/developing these deadly and debilitating diseases at bay?
How we combat inflammation in our home.
I was once on 6 prescription meds for asthma, depression, side effects of the previous meds, migraines, plus the meds for the frequent illnesses (colds/flu) and the pain meds for sore joints, cramps, etc.
Today, I am off those 6 prescription meds, the depression, asthma, and migraines are all but a memory. I changed my lifestyle habits 9 years ago and the results have been phenomenal.
What did I change?
- I eliminated toxins in my house with green cleaners.
- I eliminated toxins in my personal care products and replaced them with safe alternatives.
- I eliminated the inflammation causing foods like fried foods, sugars and other refined carbohydrates, soda-pop, bad fats & lard, and most processed meats. And began paying attention to eating healthier.
- I added a healthy supplement routine to my daily life from a trusted company that has never had a recall and supports all products with third party, peer reviewed research.
- I began walking on a regular basis and upped my other activities.
- I lost and maintained 60 pounds of fat, for 8 years now.
In February, I took a new full time position working for another company. This change in my daily routine has allowed me to fall back into old habits.
- I’m sitting for too many hours a day
- I’m not eating the way I should
- I’m skipping meals, my stress level has increased
- I am sometimes reaching for less than healthy alternatives
- I am traveling and eating out much more
The result has been
- Back pain and hip pain
- Mood shifts
- Fat gain/muscle loss
- Overall discomfort
I have committed to making conscious choices to improve my health, again. Heading back to old healthy habits rather than the lazy disease causing ones. Good luck to you!
I believe there are times and places for anti-inflammatory medications. Like after a roller skating accident, or a wipe out down hill skiing, and acute inflammation has set in, however, if your problem is more chronic inflammation, perhaps it is time to consider changing a few things around in your daily life to assist in sending that inflammation packing.
For more information on this health topic or others, please feel free to contact me.
Links to my research: