I saw several news stories this Thanksgiving about the amount of turkey people throw away after the holiday. It’s a known fact that the most expensive food you buy is food you throw away. So I thought I would share with you how we got 8 meals and turkey stock for 10 more meals for my family of 3 out of one 12 pound bird.
I roasted it for 4.5 hours (1 hour longer than the package said to because it wasn’t done yet)
- Sliced turkey breast hot from the critter, fresh from the oven.
- Turkey sandwiches at a nearby theme park with swiss & mayo & mustard.
- Turkey casserole (whole wheat pasta, frozen peas, fresh carrots, cream of anything soup, french’s french fried onions)
- Turkey burritos (homemade refried beans, fresh made pico de gallo, cheese, Daisy Sour Cream)
- 5-8 are yet to be determined, the turkey has been frozen in 1 pound, cooked portions in ziplocks for a quick addition to any meal.
- The other 10 meals I will use this turkey in, will be in the form of turkey stock/broth. I have 10 16 ounce portions frozen flat in my freezer to use when a recipe calls for stock. I know what’s in it and what is not.
I will blog on the recipes and the process for dividing this bird up sometime this week as I have to head off to my other job for a bit.
Happy Thanksgiving & thank you for reading. May you find yourself Feeling Good Fast!