In a world of quick options, we frequently “don’t have that option” so I make things from scratch. Since I’m making it from scratch, I may as well kick the nutrition up a bit as I go… So here is my recipe for healthier Fruit Pizza.
Start with the crust:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup natural sugar
- 1 1/4 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup instant protein
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
In a large bowl with your mixer:
- Beat butter for 1 minute
- Add sugar and beat another 3 minutes
- Beat in vanilla and eggs – mix 1 minute
- Scrape the sides of the bowl if needed
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray down your stone baking dish with olive oil (very well)
- I divided dough between two pans (see photos below) and spread it out with my hands.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
For cream topping:
- 8 ounces Neufchatel Cheese (WARM & SOFT)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Beat cream cheese with mixer 2 minutes
- Mix in sugar & vanilla for 1 more minute
- Beat in sour cream until mixture is smooth
- Mix in zest of the orange
- Spread 1/2 of mixture onto each baked cookie crust and smooth around
- Arrange fruit around on the pizza top as desired.
- Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes and slice to serve
Fruit pizza with a bit of protein to stabilize blood sugar, no preservatives or artificial anything! Great for a pot luck or just as a special treat for cleaning your plate of all the veggies and protein!!!