In a world of quick options, we frequently “don’t have that option” so I make things from scratch. Since I’m making it from scratch, I may as well kick the nutrition up a bit as I go… So here is my recipe for healthier Fruit Pizza.
Start with the crust:
- 1 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup natural sugar
- 1 1/4 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup instant protein
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
In a large bowl with your mixer:
- Beat butter for 1 minute
- Add sugar and beat another 3 minutes
- Beat in vanilla and eggs – mix 1 minute
- Scrape the sides of the bowl if needed
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Spray down your stone baking dish with olive oil (very well)
- I divided dough between two pans (see photos below) and spread it out with my hands.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
For cream topping:
- 8 ounces Neufchatel Cheese (WARM & SOFT)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Beat cream cheese with mixer 2 minutes
- Mix in sugar & vanilla for 1 more minute
- Beat in sour cream until mixture is smooth
- Mix in zest of the orange
- Spread 1/2 of mixture onto each baked cookie crust and smooth around
- Arrange fruit around on the pizza top as desired.
- Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes and slice to serve
Fruit pizza with a bit of protein to stabilize blood sugar, no preservatives or artificial anything! Great for a pot luck or just as a special treat for cleaning your plate of all the veggies and protein!!!
HI ! i am goin to try this awesome lookin fruit pizza tomorrow.What type of natural sugar do you use? i’ve thought about using agave nectar or honey..how do you think that ill work with your recipe? (the only naturla sugar I have at the moment is sucanat, organic brown sugar)
Ashley, We use honey, organic brown sugar, or Organic Pure Cane Sugar. I’m all for using as whole a food as possible while maintaining a flavor my mainstream hubby will accept and eat. Hope that helps! Tess
[…] Fruit Pizza – you can do this with Peanut butter in place of the creamy base as well. […]