The blood sugar has dropped, the mood pendulum is rapidly swinging, the cravings set in, as does the temper. This is a common occurrence for many people, especially our children as they are released from the classroom – or we are released for a 10 minute afternoon break from the doldrums of our work lives.
Providing our kids, or ourselves, with prepackaged snacks may SEEM like a great idea, but when we get down to it we are setting them up for a serious drop in blood sugar and a case of the grumpies.
Although rice crispy treats may be their favorite, (and a weakness of my hubby) the sugar content is detrimental to their health, their immune system, and their moods. How do we satisfy the hunger, the need for nutrition and a kid’s sweet tooth? A tasty, natural alternative paired with some protein!
It needs to be quick as time is of the essence, so here are some ideas to have ready at the office or to haul along when waiting in parent pick-up lines – not just for the kids, but for Mom & Dad too!
- Peanut butter and apple slices
- Greek yogurt or cottage cheese & pine apple chunks &/or strawberries (really, any sweet fruit will work)
- Fruit smoothee with protein powder. (I keep over ripe bananas in the freezer to use in these, awesome nutrition for myself and my daughter
- Protein bites (one of our favorites and super simple to make)
- Protein bars – you can alter your optional ingredients here to keep things mixed up a bit
- Fruit Pizza – you can do this with Peanut butter in place of the creamy base as well.
- Chopped, leftover grilled chicken with chips and pico de gallo
- Apple Fiber Bars (for when its been a truly hectic week, I keep these on hand)
- Humus as dip for carrots & celery, or a few pretzels
- Whole grain crackers with natural peanut butter & preserves
Here are a couple of links with other ideas. Protein is an important component of this afternoon snack. I will explain more, later in the week.
For more information about healthy alternatives, protein powder sources, or to sign up for this month’s cooking prep class, contact me!