I make most of the food in our house from scratch, (1) because I don’t want the traditions of my family to disappear, (2) because I want to KNOW the quality and actual ingredients that are going into my food, and (3) my darling daughter is allergic to corn. (try shopping at the supermarket with that one!) LOL
I originally came across this recipe on Pinterest and loved the simplicity and how easy it is to use. I wrote it down on a 3×5 card and taped it into my kitchen cabinet near the stove so I always have the recipe. (Now, I pretty much know it by heart.) I love that it is simply what my grandmother did for years.
So, Here it is!
- In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir continuously for 1 minute (60 seconds)
- Add your liquid (milk, turkey stock, soy milk, water, whatever you like)
- Season to your likings – we just use a dash of fresh sea salt and a good twist or two of our fresh ground black pepper.
- Stir over heat until it has thickened and use for your recipe that calls for a cream of something soup.
We sometimes add better than bouillon to it for meat flavoring, I add diced mushrooms, celery salt, etc. The options are limitless and the ingredients are few and much healthier than all the stuff you can’t pronounce on the back of the can.
[…] the dinner. Had all day to prepare since our meal wasn’t until 4 PM, so there was no rush. I made cream of anything soup on the grill’s side burner for the Green Bean […]
[…] de Gallo Refried Beans Peanut Butter Protein Bites Fruit Infused Water Cream of Anything (Base for Cream of ### soups) Homemade Chicken […]
[…] Cream of Anything Chicken/Mushroom/Zucchini “casserole starter” (From a leftover whole chicken) […]
[…] (When they can’t see it, many times they don’t even realize it is in there) I include these in Cream of Anything casseroles & soups, chilies, omelets, tacos, and […]